Tuesday, August 7, 2018

12th after pentecost year b - john

Special thanks this week to Mack Patrick and other Proclaimers, who collaborated on these queeries while we gathered for the annual Proclaim Gathering! 

John 6: 35, 41-51
35Jesus said to them, 
     “I AM the bread of life. 
          Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, 
          and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.  
41Then the Judeans began to complain about Jesus because he said, 
     “I am the bread that came down from heaven.”  
42They were saying, 
     “Is not this Jesus, 
          the son of Joseph, 
               whose father and mother we know? 
          How can he now say, 
               ‘I have come down from heaven’?”  
43Jesus answered them, 
     “Do not complain among yourselves.
          44No one can come to me unless drawn by Abba who sent me; 
          and I will raise that person up on the last day.
          45It is written in the prophets, 
               ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ 
                    Everyone who has heard 
                    and learned from Abba
                         comes to me.
                         46Not that anyone has seen Abba
                              except the one who is from God; 
                                   this one has seen Abba.
          47Very truly, I tell you, 
               whoever believes has everlasting life.
                    48I AM the bread of life.
                         49Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, 
                              and they died.
                    50This is the bread that comes down from heaven, 
                         so that one may eat of it 
                              and not die.
                    51I am the living bread that came down from heaven. 
                         Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; 
                              and the bread that I will give 
                                   for the life of the world 
                                        is my flesh.”

Queeries for the text:
Is Jesus the gingerbread man?  What about folks who can't eat gluten?
How can the bread of life keep me from being thirsty?
What did we skip from last week to this week?
How far does Jesus' apple fall from the family tree?
Are they actually trying to take a dig at Joseph through Jesus?
Is this really just the beginning of their complaining?  Do they realize Jesus can hear them?
Did Abba draw us with charcoal?  Pastels?  Crayon?
Does Jesus mostly just want to be incarnate as inanimate objects?
What is the thing that fills us? What sustains us?
How do we know that what we are eating is everlasting?
If the bread is alive, does that mean Jesus is sour dough?  Is Jesus claiming his identity as leavened bread?

What are your queeries?





No comments: