Friday, September 7, 2018

17th after pentecost year b - isaiah

Special thanks to guest queerier, River Needham!  

Isaiah 50: 4-9a  
4The Becoming One has given me
    The tongue of those who are taught,
    That I should know how to sustain with words the one who is weary;
    Who awakens morning by morning,
    Who awakens my ear
    To hear as they who are taught.
5The Becoming One has opened my ear,
    And I was not rebellious,
    Nor turned away backward.
6I gave my back to the smiters,
    And my cheeks to the ones that plucked off the hair;
    I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
7For The Becoming One will help me;
    Therefore have I not been confounded;
    Therefore have I set my face like a flint,
    And I know that I shall not be ashamed.
8Xe is near who justifies me;
    Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together;
    Who is my adversary? Let Xem come near to me.
9Behold, the Becoming One will help me; 
    Who is the one who shall condemn me?

Queeries for the text:
Can tongues be transplanted?
How can words sustain us? Teach us?
What is ear opening? How would you respond to ear opening?
What does plucking out hair have to do with anything? What about spitting?
What does it look like when the Becoming One helps? How does it prevent being confounded?
What is justification in this passage; how does Xe enact it?
Is The Becoming One simultaneously justifier and adversary?
How does The Becoming One protect against condemnation?

What are your queeries?


No comments: