Sunday, December 2, 2018

Queerying Advent Music

The season of Advent is upon us and I've cultivated another playlist!

Over the last several years, I have begun to cultivate playlists based on the seasons of the church year.  One of the things I love about doing that is that I get to incorporate explicitly religious songs and hymns (O Come, O Come, Emmanuel and Toda la tierra, for example) as well as what is considered more "secular" or even "profane" music that speaks to the themes and season (Dance Apocalyptic and For Today I Am a Boy, for example).  In this way, the playlists queer the binary that we have set up between what is holy and what is profane, what is sacred and what is secular.

This is definitely a labor of love for me as I am not particularly musically oriented, so I owe particular thanks to various friends who have suggested songs over the past couple of years.

The themes of Advent that I focused on for this playlist are: waiting and anticipation as well as impatience; hope and fulfillment of promises; despair and lament or longing; sun and light; darkness and night; love and the end times.  Some of these themes are more prevalent than others, but all of them were in my heart when cultivating and should come through in the playlist. While the playlist is quite intentional, the order isn't. So, unlike Holy Week, but similar to Easter, it would probably be better if set to shuffle. As always, it is an ongoing work in progress, so let me know if you have any suggestions to add to the list or questions about what is on the list or why!

What are your suggestions for queerying Advent music? 



 

No comments: