Thursday, August 22, 2019

Queerying 11th after Pentecost C

Periodic queerier, River Needham, queeries the Tanakh reading.


Tanakh: Jeremiah 1:4-10

The word of the Becoming One came to me:
Before I created you in the womb, I selected you; before you were born, I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet concerning the nations.
I replied: Ah, Becoming God! I don’t know how to speak, for I am still a boy.
Then the Becoming One said to me: Do not say, “I am still a boy,” But go wherever I send you and speak whatever I command you. Have no fear of them, for I am with you to deliver you —declares the Becoming One.
The Becoming One put out hir hand and touched my mouth, and said to me:
Here I put my words into your mouth. See, I appoint you this day over nations and kingdoms: to uproot and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.

Queeries for the text:
Can words perform actions?
Do people exist before birth?
What does it mean to be consecrated?
Where else in the world are children used to carry a message? Is this fair?
Where else does the Becoming One touch lips or mouths
Who else does the Becoming One appoint?

-----

Rev. Emily E. Ewing queeries the Gospel reading.

Gospel: Luke 13:10-17
10Now Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.
11And just then there appeared a woman
with a spirit that had crippled her for eighteen years.
She was bent over
and was quite unable to stand up straight.
12When Jesus saw her,
he called her over and said,
“Woman, you are set free from your ailment.”
13When Jesus laid his hands on her,
immediately she stood up straight and began praising God.
14But the leader of the synagogue,
indignant because Jesus had cured on the sabbath,
kept saying to the crowd,
“There are six days on which work ought to be done;
come on those days and be cured,
and not on the sabbath day.”
15But the One with Authority answered him and said,
“You hypocrites!
Does not each of you on the sabbath untie your ox or your donkey from the manger,
and lead it away to give it water?
16And ought not this woman,
a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen long years,
be set free from this bondage on the sabbath day?”
17When Jesus said this,
all his opponents were put to shame;
and the entire crowd was rejoicing
at all the wonderful things that Jesus was doing.


Queeries for the text:
What did we skip this time?
Does any good come from Jesus teaching in a synagogue on the sabbath?
Can children cripple people?
How are spirits and ailments related?
Do we ever want to do anything straight?
What gifts does the sabbath bring?
How are people still in bondage?
How can we be set free?
Who was Jesus' intended audience?

What are your queeries?



No comments: